Friday, October 21, 2005

Reminded of Natural Order of Things

Evolution – Change Through Time

Argue if you will about certain points regarding evolution – the major concept is sound – things change over time – regardless of how hard they try and fight this natural order…

I was sitting outside the Catholic school waiting to teach my workshop this morning. Just sitting in the car looking at the side of the building, the rainy clouds about to spill and collecting my thoughts to prepare for the workshop. There was this dead sparrow on the sidewalk in front of the building near my car… I really ha barely noticed it, pretty much ignored it.

As I thought over the topic (teaching them the basics of web design) a big, big black crow swoops down and I watch it pick up the sparrow to take it away. It juggled with the smaller bird a few moments before getting a good angle with its beak, other crows suddenly appeared watching the process (much like seagulls flock when someone throws fries out the window at the local by the shore McDonalds).

Even from death there is life – and all seems to contribute to the natural order – change happens whether you plan or not.

Aftye the very long workshop (the web page is messed up must redo file management system and get things straightened out but the sisters and teachers were great and I will do it even though I am not supposed to)

Not supposed to... see that goes to the other thing that happened today and the whole change thing...

I raced back through the rain (very methaphorical – rainy heavy day for what happened) to the high school campus for a meeting with boss. As I mentioned earlier she had been talking to the Super and thinking about future...

Well not to go into all details, because details are in short demand at this point (which makes for an upset tummy, mind and life...)

Start of conversation

Well the center you work for (ETTC) probably will only be around a very short time and will eventually go away (translated your job is going away)

Bad

But we want to keep you in the school you are a good worker

Good

What do you see yourself doing

Bad

kinda – I have a hard time being forceful and saying this is what I want. I hem and haw and say I like kinda what I do – technology – working with teachers – helping students in class – curriculum – helping teachers prep curriculum and lessons – but I don’t know how that translates to the future (you just said my job is going away and I like my job, sometimes, I do too much but other than that...)


But we were thinking of making you a Supervisor of Curriculum, Technology and such – you could do many of the same things

Good and wow – that is what my boss is plus Asst. Super... wow

And then after I am happy they still want to keep me around reality – this is BAD

See you need a supervisor's certificate to have that title

A Supervisor's certificate requires 12 Master level credits, taking some exams and (the big kicker) three years teaching in a field you hold a K-12 certificate in

I have taught community college for a bit and taught on and off in HS but the certification process and teaching in that area never meshed because of the weird walk I did – so I do not have the certificate or three years teaching

So I can not at this point get that certificate – major Bad

But some good (and bad)

She says I gave her more to think about and more ideas to follow (good she still is trying to get me set before she retires)

She wants me to start to take those classes (kinda bad – where am I getting money and time to take graduate courses especially when all the graduate schools are further up North – oh man) But she said I should still get those courses out of way while I wait for teacher certification

Which is another bad/good -I did apply for another teacher certification and waiting for paperwork to clear – if it does cool but then must figure out how to get the three years teaching...

So realistically – my job, as always is tenuous – bad

My boss is working to find a way to keep me in the school as she feels as does super I am an asset to the school – good

Right now the main way to keep me around means more time, money and may not be obtainable anyway....... bad

And above all it means within the next while –CHANGE – maybes major change for me - heaped upon all the changes that have occurred in the last couple years of my life....

Evolution...

No comments: