Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Oooo that's embarrassing an Rated R lecture and the E word(s)

Okay I guess sometimes I just get a little enthusiastic when I teach. I tend to move around and not stay still as it is – I start out up front by the projector and overhead. But slowly I start walking around up and down the rows and sometimes even talking from the back.

Well by now I hope the students are a little use to it. Well especially lately I know I have really been getting into the topic I have been teaching – plate tectonics.

Well I see the amusement on my student's faces as I say things or do things or ramble on and make odd phrases – cause my blondeness shows through (not in an overtly bad way) in my teaching.

Well tonight I am talking about convergent plate boundaries – places on the Earth where hundreds to thousands of miles (should be kilometers but since the United States is like one of three idiot countries not using the metric) well these pieces of crust come moving together creating over time mountain ranges like the Himalayans.

Now I am already skating on thin ice this lecture because we are talking about mountain building which is called orogensis and an event is called an orogeny.

And I still always hesitate when lecturing on this topic because of the one time in class I kida said orgy and I have slipped and said orgasm – like I should not think about my RPG writing when doing this topic – talk about major slip… I had lost the class big time when I did that.

In fact a lot of geologic words are very suggestive (thrusting and I could go on but I stop now) and I often have to pause or blush or get interesting comments (like the time I swear when talking about the mineral silicate - I had a student go into how this was the silicon not silicate mineral like what they use in fake boob jobs - man I get some crazy-ass answers on my tests)

Anyhoo


I already had a few students smirking as I was introducing orogeny and I was like okay just stop – smirk gets bigger, come on no going there – we both smirk more and then get through.

Well I am explaining the Himalayan mountain formation and how this tremendous clashing of forces creates energy such that thick slabs of earth can be bent and torn and crumpled and shoved thousands of miles form its origin

So I point at the overhead, voice getting all excited and arms waving so I know they are already having a hoot watching the little blonde get excited – which is even funnier considering the classroom.

It is not a traditional lecture classroom – it is a chemistry lab room – complete with the raised chem. Benches and high straight back chairs which are very uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time – but the raised bench and my height combines means realistically get one row of bench away and you can not see me very well so I am like a bobbing blob of arms and such.

Anyways so I am getting exacted and going into this big thing and I press my finger down on the overhead "This is sooo cool and incredible, you can actually get huge pieces of land moving thousands of miles away I mean you can go from here," stab and make loud noise on overhead, "To all the friggin way over here." I use my blue pen to make a large star half way across the Asian continent

And my class looses it. Thy all start and I am like what – and one says "You said Friggin," I start to blush and guess what I almost say which would have helped the situation – "Oh shit!" I manage to catch myself and keep that in my brain.

Meanwhile trying to dig myself out, class keeps laughing and commenting I said frigging. I am blushing like crazy – I tell them this is the second time our lecture has gone PG-13 and R territory (I explain first in minute – what a wacky lecture) well finally I get them settled and my brain comes back from the chaotic edge and we go on but they liked that I said Friggin and with a lotta emphasis and energy and enthusiasm E words to die for in a lecture class (NOT!)

The other thing which was of note – and I left for the chemistry teacher since he never erases his board he might as well see some of my lecture, well one woman is 5 months pregnant – oh that is another thing – I have an 8 month old woman planning on going on my field trip next week - the trip itself should be fun and awesome but whew I think we should have much interesting blog after that

Anyhoo

So she is 5 months and today got sonogram and those newer 4-D pictures – which are amazing and wow we could really see the baby – whew – the face and everything –

It was funny the one picture had a great down below shot and it is a boy so it had an arrow pointing to the little dot that actually said boy (pointing to that lovely area)– I was like oo show that one to future girlfriend – "Look some things did not change much" oo that bad and embarrassing – hehe

Anyhoo so she is talking about the wacko technician trying to get good pictures and pushing all over her belly and going all "Come on honey dance for mommy" yes that must have been a weird time for the student and it was funny the student showed the different poses they caught the baby in and was demonstrating how the baby kept moving and doing this arm thing and I SWEAR what she did looked like a bad version of the Macarena – Ally McBeal dancing baby all over again

Anyhoo

So she is drawing a visual to help explain why some of the pictures are not as good. This is on my Physical Geology class during the break. She gets up on the board and starts drawing "This is the placenta – okay well the placenta thingy (insert about 5 comments from the various students standing round about thingy and her drawing that looked like a red – yes she chose red moon shaped watermelon slice or something

Then she starts drawing circles and arrows "And if the baby's head was here – great pics. But it is here." Marker still drawing this whole time.

So now on one portion of my board I have this weird drawing of a placenta thingy

Which I leave up for rest of lecture – eh if I needed the board – but I use the overhead a lot.

So yes all around interesting lecture tonight – man I love teaching this class – lol

Most of the time.

No comments: