Sunday, March 13, 2005

Philadelphia Concert

Okay went to Philadelphia last night and saw a great show – It was Jesus Christ Superstar put on by one of the classes from Paul Green's School of Rock. Yes the thing talked about in the Jake Black movie (which I have not seen…)

The school takes kids ages 4 – 19 and teaches them music using Paul Green's approach which is more of using classic rock and jam sessions as well as working on all aspects of the music world.

So the troupe ranged in age from about 12-13 to 19 – and they did a wonderful job. They switched in and out on drums, keyboards and of course all sizes shapes and types of guitars electric and acoustic. So one group was on for one song, then they would switch out. This way all of the students got a chance to perform. Only the main singing parts were constant and boy were Judas, Jesus, Pilot and the cast good.

I got to talk to some of the moms there and learned about the whole thing from their perspective and yes Paul Green was there and introduced everything. And talking to people was nice until the one mom 9she must have been in late 50s probably 60s) was walking away and said, "By the way your 60s look is just right and very cute, love the bangs and all."

I stared after her going, "What? What 60s look, I was not even born in the 60s." I looked down at my black turtleneck, dark blue and black vest I was wearing over it and jeans and thought hmmm... also I wear my hair straight - no curls (it is so fine it would not curl even if I threatened it) and I have always had bangs, whether in or out they are me... in fact I have a part and it is so well trained, John would joke I could snap my fingers no matter how messed up my hair was and it would part like Moses at the Red Sea....

Anyways - I guess with sunglasses, a beret changing my sneaks for loafers I could have been sitting in a coffeehouse snapping my fingers going "cool, cool...." lol - Actually I like coffeehouses and the performance concept - goes along with that whole music thing I like so much - lol - anyways I still am like 60s.... me????? Okay trying to stay focused on the topic - not doing a great job here am I????? Always the question or ramble from me – curious Georgeing my way through life - anyways

I am always amazed by musicians – the talent they have to do things I can not begin to do but love to hear. Thanks all you musicians - keep the music coming!

The other cool thing was people watching – this was at the TLA (theater of Living Arts) same place I saw Dresden Dolls (still the best concert and group I have seen to date)

The stark contrast in the crowd and event was cool. First for Dresden – the people packed the place early and the front filled first.

To explain, the TLA is a standing room mainly concert venue. The stage is against one wall and then a large open area – then the bar and a few seats are to the left and there is a balcony with a few more seats against the wall opposite the stage - concessions and main doors are under the balcony. So mainly you stand when you go to see someone play here.

So for Dresden, the people packed in and filled in the area near the stage and speakers and all.

For JCS – the back filled first – lol people gathered mainly in the back and the seats all filled immediately and people came closer to show time instead of really early.

Of course more people were sitting on the floor as they waited for Dresden and the JCS people were not as willing to just plop down. Which I understand - if you look at the floor in the TLA (which I recommend you don't, ever, not even a peek, like do not do it, I mean it stay away from the floor... )

okay now I made you all like curious and crap to know - haven't I? If you ever go to the TLA what is the first thing I bet you do.... look at the floor. Unless now because I taunted you that you will do that you then make a point to never look at floor - and then my reverse psychology trick has won and you never look at floor - unless you are trying tnot to look at floor becuase I said don't but I bet you will so you are not looking at floor and then you stumble a little and glimpse floor and go "Oh shit, I looked so now the little blonde chick is right, crap in a handbasket...."

Oh god where was I, what was I talking about and how did I end up here... oh yeah, the concert....

The crowd was different too – families for JCS (mainly families little kids to older people and friends of people in the musical) and Dresden a mix but mainly teen to my age. JCS mainly the family unit and white and older or even the friends were mainly teens but kinda like Dawson's Creek teens – lol - and not alot of smoking

Dresden – well lets say more ethinicity, more people making out and prolly more female/female or male/male than male/female in terms of making out and couple over all – lol, very open and different atmosphere. So much more open, goth, punk, yuppie, jock, average joe/jane – hehe a much wider mix at Dresden - and much more smoking going on at that show and more drinking (although there were a couple of parents getting nice and sloshed in the back corner of the bar)

I wonder if they even saw their kid up on stage... not that drinking is bad... just sloshing at your kids event is IMO poor choice... (and I mean sloshing not drinking - read that as doing the funny dance with the lampshade over your head drunk not a few drinks for the taste or to help people sound better - lol not that these students needed that - they were KICK BUTT AWESOME...) but I know sometimes people get dragged to things and such, but I am like man, go somewhere else to talk and party instead of ruining it for others....

Plus to watch people watching/gawking at certain people at JCS and listening to the comments about what people were wearing and how acting and the noise level and everything was fun too – hehe – people were much more in to their own thing at Dresden and not obvious gawkers.

But it was an awesome time and I would go to another Paul Green concert/event. Also had fun walking around South Street – love the mix of people there…. Like the two guys standing in the middle of the street trying to pick up the chicks walking in front of me and so the two chicks to get rid of the guys stop on the corner and kiss – lol typical South street ;-D

And then later got to see the two hookers in obvious fake fur working over some Italian guy, um well not that type of working, I am not a perv (I blush too much about stuff like that... hmm I guess technically you could be a blushing perv, but those two ideas just seem to be mutually exclusive to me that is like leering by peeking through your hands like little kids do - kinda ruins the impact of the leer - where was I? Ah yes back to the original topic....) - I meant they were trying to price out a deal. I now know the street value in philly for two women to go down on some Italian guy – man life is wonderfully weird.

Okay on to getting a paper shredder, groceries, cleaning, grading and maybes back to painting. And of course I have all this work to do and instead I am just messing around being lazy – I have not done that in awhile… I forgot what it feels like to do nothing – kinda weird – not sure if I should laugh or frown at that comment – ah well – at least I got some sleep finally last night…. Been too upset to sleep right but that should settle out soon, I hope : )

No comments: