Monday, August 14, 2006

capturing your attention

It is often oddly fascinating what things catch's someone's attention and holds it.

Some people watch operations and such for hours on Discovery health. Some watch court cases and other real TV type things. Some turn on sports channels and watch marathons and other repetitive sports/challenges/etc.

My mother would tune into the NASA channel which would 24/7 show the space shuttle when it would be up in space

they are adding a couple new building s and other construction to the high school here. I stood just watching some of the construction fascinated. The problem at hand is new pipes being put in. A guy is using a big claw backhoe machine to tear up the cement there. I was amazed at how he used it almost like an extension of a hand at some points to pound on the stuff trying to break it, then tear and claw it up and finally gently (yes I use that term here because) it almost looked graceful sometimes the way he maneuvered the huge claw to place these huge slabs of heavy concrete into a dump truck. The whole process looked so effortless and it was easy to forget we were talking a lot of weight and sometimes clumsy large machines... I was captivated - it was also nice to zero in on nothing else but watching.

It amazes me what activities can just hold someone's attention and why....

I'd love to find out things like that about people - it's the curious George in me : ) Plus I love to listen to people even about the odd details and things that make them tick. If you ever wanna talk, always give me a ping - I love to listen and be captivated :P

No comments: