Friday, July 21, 2006

Winding through Detroit and NAF

Well attending the NAF conference (I am the school's NAF director - we have three academies) in Detroit MIchigan this week.

Naf is a business oriented education model so it is a different kind of conference - they really pay attention to details and more of what works in business...

I presented today - talked about how our school uses online learning. Then in afternoon facilitated a database project design session. Worked with teachers to create lesson plans for teaching databases.

Also volunteered to work on a focus group to help set up a Director's manual as well as working with the IT department on staff development.

I enjoy meeting people and talking about what they are doing, and I do have a few ideas and projects to work on for after this conference, so it is very productive. Detroit, what little I have seen, is actually nice. I hope to explore a little more the next few evenings before we leave on Sunday.

Last night after conference meetings got to go on a riverboat cruise - it was awesome. We had dinner then had this awesome motown band - 5 singers who danced and sung just liek the Temptations and they were backed by a sax, drums, bass, guitar and keyboard - they were phenomenal.

Tonight - walked around Greektown a little and rode the people mover. Then I caught a great three piece blues band in a local eatery/bar. They were great and loved it - oh I'm in Detroit Michigan and the place is FIshbones. Tomorrow there is a concert series on the riverfront and it features the Romantics.

Tomorrow lots of workshops and then a our of the GM building and OnStar company - most awesome

going to see the Pretenders (one of those VH1 specials) and O.A.R and Jack's Mannequin - plus chasing a couple other tickets but not sure if timing before dragon con will work or will wait to go back to concert hopping after the con.

Hmm what else music wise? Got Anna Nalick CD I love In the rough - made it a ring tone - "Love will find me, in the rough..." love that.

My office mate's band had their first really "big" gig, playing in WIldwood at an outdoor thing on the weekend of the fourth and he was so excited as they had a good time and did well. It is always fun listening to him talk about things - he's always sharing/showing me something (he is the drummer and also the manager and does all the promotion and PR and it is his band)

I got this special season four pack to catch 4 musicals at the kimmel center in Philly - they start hmm I think in january - not sure - but I got them because it guatuntees I get a seat next summer when Wicked comes to Philly - yesssssssssssssssss - the other three musicals are Edward Scissorhands (I am intrigued as to how that is a musical) Pippen (not sure what that is) and Spamalot - wheeeeeeeee - can not wait

No comments: