Saturday, July 22, 2006

Whoosh and whewww and Swish – what a conference

Well the NAF conference here in Detroit is wrapping up – we fly out at 7am tomorrow – the conference was good. I just wish I had a better mindset of late to fully enjoy. But I did enjoy a bit.

Loved the GM and OnStar tour – they were really nice and I loved the tour. Got a neat paperclip note holder thing too from them :o)

Made it yesterday to the Romantics – that was awesome – they were good – I could actually see them (I will be posting my Detroit pictures this week and I have little white blips that represent the romantics to post – lol) I also played eye contact kinda with a cute girl the whole time. She was working the merch booth and I am standing over in the main area. It was an outdoor concert with the stage way up and then people brought their lawn chairs and stuff – it is a summer series.

Well I'm just standing in amongst the chairs and I always am dancing. See when I go to concerts I watch others just stand or sit and watch maybe swat a little or nod the head – I dance. I am no good but F-it I like the music and so I dance anyways. So I know I stick out. But I looked over and noticed her watching me – eh I thought – ok – then noticed she kept watching me. In fact through most the concert she was looking my way (prolly not really watching me but someone behind me – but anyhoos) I started watching her watching me as Idanced and stuff – so that was fun and yes I had to go over at the end and buy a CD and then she had me fill out the romantics mailing list – hehe I am now a Romantics fan – well I like them anyway but now I've seen them in concert (as well as a cute merch booth worker in Detroit :-P

So then today had two great workshops – one was about a project in a California high school where they blog -I left my name interested in have my students blog with others. Then talked to an English teacher about blogging and revising and got some good ideas and activities. Then got a great set of activities, web sites and lessons for an intro Information Technology course – including sites to have the students build games and simulations and other awesome stuff I will be using.

The keynote speaker was motivational and awesome – yes I started to cry a little at one part and was laughing a lot – I'll admit I am an emotional roller coaster and get into things and people. He gave an interesting math problem

29 students in a class. 20 have dogs. 15 have cats. How many have both.

After the conference headed to the Henry Ford Museum – that is an incredibly awesome place. Loved the cars and the round house and the bus Rosa Park sat on and just the whole museum. I got a cool Harley Davidson/Route 66 metal sign as my souvenir

Then hit this place for dinner that had in the corner a piano, bass player and a woman with a great voice (she sang Jazz). That was nice.

So the trip was productive, lots of materials and ideas, signed up for more work (of course) got a great range of music and I definitely plan on coming back – did not get to do a lot of what I wanted so must plan a trip back.

Also on a side note – a really cool site www.uberetc.com lists updates for various fanfic sites (including mine) asked Nikki and I to do a writer's ramble for them so we did and they published it – check out Friday, July 21 entry – wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee man I so badly wanna be a writer…. I'd love to write novels based on TV/Movies or write for TV or such…. Sigh –

The motivational speaker had a cool quote – I looked it up and found places mentioned as the author as Patrick Overton another site listed Frank Outlaw and another has a similar one by Tyrone Edwards and listed this one as anonymous. Whomever said them – I leave you with these words

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At most, 15 have both. From what I can tell, we don't have enough information to discern more than that. It's possible (although highly unlikely) that every student with a cat also has a dog.

Without anything else to go on, that's the best answer I can come up with.