Sunday, April 09, 2006

How a movie makes me think

Ok – I will post lots about the trip and family and all that next time, I promise, but for now I have to comment on a movie I just watched…. "Prime"

It is so weird and it really, really hit me hard. It is half like me and even worse – the other half is what I secretly wish would happen to me

See it is about – and oh if you do not want spoilers skip this

But it is about Uma (Ralphie) who is 37 falling in love with a 23 year old (Dave) – and see that is the secret part/wish – that a relationship with that age difference could work for me as I kinda like a couple of people that would fit that description but anyhoos

Uma is just recently divorced after a 9 year marriage and is going through things basically I am or have gone through and so that hit me really close too.

But the scene where Uma finds out how old he is and the difference was very good – I liked it and it made me happy to see that sometimes those things you think can't work, really can.

And then when Dave is describing how he feels about her after just a few dates and how you can feel strongly about a person even though you seem not to know a lot about the person again hit home and made me think about what makes you like a person and how things go from like to LIKE – made me think of the movie "You've Got Mail" and how that relationship blossomed in a total electronic medium….

And the way the movie subtly points out the differences between their worlds was done very well as well

But regardless of the age difference – it was just nice to see the relationship grow and made me again think about wishes and dreams and someday maybes not coming home to an empty house all the time….

Sigh…

Of course the romantic sap in me hated the way the movie ends – I happen to think it could work and in my dreams tonight – damn it, it will – ahhhh well such is life…

I leave with a bit of a romantic poem (and then the realist in me must also include the cold, yet true response to said thoughts)

The Passionate Shepherd to His Love
By Christopher Marlowe (1599)


COME live with me and be my Love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That hills and valleys, dale and field,
And all the craggy mountains yield.



There will we sit upon the rocks
And see the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers, to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.

There will I make thee beds of roses
And a thousand fragrant posies,
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroider'd all with leaves of myrtle.

A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull,
Fair linèd slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold.

A belt of straw and ivy buds
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my Love.

Thy silver dishes for thy meat
As precious as the gods do eat,
Shall on an ivory table be
Prepared each day for thee and me.

The shepherd swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May-morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my Love.


The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd
by Sir Walter Raleigh (1600)

If all the world and love were young,
And truth in every shepherd's tongue,
These pretty pleasures might me move
To live with thee and be thy love.

Time drives the flocks from field to fold,
When rivers rage and rocks grow cold;
And Philomel becometh dumb;
The rest complain of cares to come.

The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy's spring, but sorrow's fall.

Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy bed of roses,
Thy cap, thy kirtle, and thy posies,
Soon break, soon wither, soon forgotten,
In folly ripe, in reason rotten.

Thy belt of straw and ivy buds,
Thy coral clasps and amber studs,
All these in me no means can move
To come to thee and be thy love.

But could youth last and love still breed,
Had joys no date nor age no need,
Then these delights my mind might move
To live with thee and be thy love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow,so niceeee!! Thanks for sharing!