Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Life is not like a box of chocolates - It is like a leaky roof

Looked up this morning and discovered bubbles across the ceiling of my bedroom about 2 inches wide and about so far two - 4our feet total length. So at 6:30am in the morning (yes it has been raining the last few days) I am crawling around in my unfinished attic (it is mainly the pink insulation furry crap laid down and a few boards in a few spots so I can store some crap up there.

I find water is dripping down a metal exhaust pipe and then when the pipe bends the water drips onto the board, pink insulation and thus collects under the insulation bubbling the paint in my ceiling below (I have not pulled up the insulation or boards yet to look at the damage but I know the water is collecting because I see the bubble in my bedroom ceiling.) Plus my one bin was wet and the one area in the board and the insulation. So a bucket is now sitting up there and I will explore further later today when I think I can approach things with out losing it. It has been a bad few weeks and this is just more gray.

See life right now seems like a leak in the roof. Stuff goes on little by little, drip by drip and most of the world does not see it, see the building water bubble, the board becomes soaked, then the insulation then the water collects and bubbles the paint and then runs along the paint and creates a bigger and bigger mess. Little drop by little drop. And in between the rainy days there is sun, but then the drip starts up again....

Finally a person looks up and notices and hopefully exposes the bigger problem hidden, going on day by day while people pass by, never knowing how the boards are being soaked, damaged, ready to burst. And you can not trace the exact drop that defines the problem or even the starting place at this point, just it is all soaked and rotting and now you must fix the problem.

Maybe the water and area will dry up and go away during a sunny day and hey things are looking great on the surface - but the problem is there and mold may start to grow to compound the issue but hey what you can't see can't hurt you right...

Sure maybe even putting a bucket stops the drip but you have to monitor the bucket and empty it and the mold may still grow and well... you sometimes gotta take the plunge and fix the leak and hope all is well.

The cool thing in life is if you can find someone to help you fix the roof maybes even sit around after drinking tea or beer or whatever laughing about the problem and other things and then in the rare cases they might even be just the one who sticks around to help you paint and help you keep an eye on other possible leaks.

But not everyone knows someone like that. Yet the drip is still there... so then you must decide, bucket your drip, don't look up until the bubble bursts and falls on you drowning you or find a way to fix it yourself... Some argue, and rightly so, sometimes you can fix it yourself and sometimes you do need to go to others... but the thing is most times you can find a way to deal with the leaky roof.... to take care of the drip and thus be able to move on to the next mess...

another day another drip ;-)

1 comment:

docwho2100 said...

I actually was writing it on two levels although having to only wax poetic about life would have been great (and much cheaper - lol) I hope you can rely on rolling up your sleeves and getting it done yourself, i think I am going to have to call in someone for part of it

A person at work told me to pop a hole in the bubbles (a duh moment for me) because then the water could drip out instead of continuing to run along the paint and ceiling making more bubbles and mess - I was like why would I poke holes and be destructive and then I went oohhhhh so by poking a few holes now - it let's the water out instead of it continuing to do damnage (oops, did I just go from the Ms. Fixit back to the Ms. Philosopher.... :-P

So now I have a bucket in the attic, holes in my ceiling and tomorrow during the traditional American holiday of Thanksgiving (which for reasons I'm shying away from right now I do not really make a big deal of...) I will take the plunge, roll up my sleeves and start really looking at it (on all levels)

Hope your beach time and other activities continue to raise those numbers for you (as I tighten my jacket as winter begins to really take hold - blech on winter - I am a warm weather person for sure....)

catch ya around - doc

PS - feel free to push the ratings limit - I know things have been making it very easy for me to slip into non-PG zones - :-D