Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dragon Con Concerts

First of a few posts about Dragon Con - yes I am slow - work is hellaciously busy and started teaching my online class yesterday

OK - Dragon con and music

Got to go to a couple concerts this year and was surrounded by music in general. A cool thing about the con is walking around the couple levels of display tables talking to the actual band members and people who man the tables. I get cheap CD's and I am exposed to new music and groups.

The music ranges from Celtic, to Irish folk, to parody, to punk, to pop, to rock, to metal to you name it it is there (even have musical experiences like Rocky Horror a Buffy the musical event and more). The heavy concentration is Celtic/filk/folk and goth/punk but all kinds exist at D*C, music is everywhere!!!!

Most of the concerts were held in the main halls after the regular panels were done for the day. I love the venue setup - the stage is on one end and very accessible - you just walk up - I was in middle against the stage for the concerts. Then there is this huge standing room space in front of the stage. It was large enough people were twirling glowstick batons and string things doing tricks as well as having lightsaber duels.

It was cool in the darkened hall to watch the impromptu light shows. I fought the urge to get up like other people and try the twirling things as I knew I would look like an ass when they hit me there and in head and such (instead I stood and laughed good-naturedly when the things hit others in aforementioned body parts).

You know the impromptu light shows prolly even cooler if I had been buzzed - hmmm next year buzzed light shows at concerts - who wants to join me :-P

Behind the standing space was a ton of chairs so people could sit. People could easily wander in and out with their drinks and stuff plus they had two big screens so if sitting in back could still see stage. I like the setup and it works well.

Two bands I'll mention are VooDou and Mighty McFly. I got CDs for both and ended up right against the stage for the concerts. VooDou is funky punk/heavy and McFly is a cover band (with some original stuff) along the lines of Journey, Bon Jovi and such.

VooDou (which gave me a free voodoo doll with CD purchase) started off the night and were a little heavy in the scream and blare mode drowning out some of the other instruments. I liked some of their songs. The lead singer came out looking like a priestess but by the end of the set had shed a lot of her clothes.

Mighty McFlys had a great crowd presence. They got people up on stage dancing (see the pictures at the pic web site - go to my main site and click dragon con pictures link) and thank you thank you thank you mcfly for that - lmao). I also liked their original stuff and liked having the heavy screaming VooDou followed by the step back to the days of hair bands and ballads and good fun.

They started the set with Jump by Van Halen and by damn if I was not jumping and dancing with the rest of the crowd by the end of the song. Sure it is not real poetic music, just some good fun. Especially fun if you are with a group of friends - of course I was not with anyone but still had a lot of fun on my own - I was still a crazy idget dancing and singing on my own :^P

And the band kept going into the crowd. They'd get people singing with them (I refuse to say which I was tagged for.... ok try not to imagine me singing Wishing I had Jesse's girl or It's My Life (trust me you do not want those kind of nightmarish thoughts and sounds in your head - lmao - my sincere apologies to Bon Jovi and why I never do the Karaoke thing - never-ehvarrrr).

those killer nuns though butchered the Jenny 867-5309 song but they were rocking and having fantasmic time. We were all dancing and for a good time call.... hehe I stop now ;-)

I really enjoyed the concerts and meeting band members and band reps (check out the pics to see me meeting some of the Crueshadow angels - another good band at the con).

Can not wait for next year and the next set of concerts!!!!!

No comments: