Sunday, May 07, 2006

Seeing Things from someone's else's perspective

Ok so Saturday was a good day trip wise – mediocre mood wise – so it means the teeter-totter of life was balanced slightly higher in the good direction – hurray.

Started by sleeping in – not setting the alarm – and that is such an unusual event for moe. I realize I set the alarm a lot and keep myself on a certain schedule – not always so much like a planned, anal schedule (I am quite scattered-brained and forgetful) but I am also moving type schedule and always have something to be done. Which is still true during the trip but I have been not setting the alarm – and will not set it when I go to bed tonight either… but alas back to setting it for Monday to get up to go :(

So finally when I did get up I took my trip on the train – YAY! I actually only did into main downtown and did not ride on the loop train but still – and it was cheap and easy and what I will do tomorrow.

I then went on a walking architecture tour – which in an unplanned (see trying not to schedule) move I will go in town tomorrow and if they have any openings in their tours I will go on one. But today I went on the 2 hour modern skyscrapers tour and it was awesome.

I loved listening to the stories behind the buildings and learning how much of a building is planned and why and styles and all that.

Spending time looking up and around and through someone else's eyes is a great activity and especially so with the idea of using steel, glass, concrete in an artistic yet functional way. Plus having been walking by these buildings during the week I now appreciate them and notice different things.

Sometimes having a reminder that things exist for many different reasons and people plan things sometimes for the oddest reasons is good. It is a gentle reminder that not everything is from your perspective or might not be meant the way you interpret it.

This is good (and that leads back to something else that happened or did not happen this weekend and why I am harping on scheduling and seeing things in many different ways). But I learned my lesson this week – sometimes plans and such just do not work out and scheduling, no matter what you try, is a two sided coin and needs both sides in some sort of unity if things are to work out.

I also have had a lot going on and a lot is yet to come in terms of events going to/have already occurred to shake up my life. I know going back to work on Tuesday will be hard and who knows what I face….

My two college classes are winding down – grades should be completely finished by the 17th – I have a few more labs to grade (posted the last lab for the one class today). One more lecture to give and then two tests (one each class) to grade. Add in final grade calculation and whew those are over then.

No comments: