Monday, December 05, 2005

Phobias and over-reactions

A couple of definitions to begin


phobia
n.
A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.

A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
-------------------------------
-phobia
suff.
An intense, abnormal, or illogical fear of a specified thing: xenophobia.

[Late Latin, from Greek -phobi, from phobos, fear. See bhegw- in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
------------------------------------
phobia
n.

A persistent, abnormal, or irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid the feared stimulus.

Source: The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main Entry: pho·bia
an exaggerated and often disabling fear usually inexplicable to the subject and having sometimes a logical but usually an illogical or symbolic object, class of objects, or situation —compare COMPULSION, OBSESSION

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
------------------------------------
phobia

n : an anxiety disorder characterized by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations; "phobic disorder is a general term for all phobias" [syn: phobic disorder, phobic neurosis]

Source: WordNet 2003 Princeton University

Well, alright, I admit it – I have a bit of a phobia and bad quirk – I'm afraid really of driving in the snow. I am not afraid of snow. Heck someday I would love to try skiing, ice skating, snowboarding and other assorted winter sports (none of which I have ever done – I need to find someone willing to be patient, show me tricks and laugh incredibly long when I land on my ass, and then be willing to go get hot tea or cocoa or coffee - well for them coffee I have never had coffee)

But driving in snow – growing up in Arizona and Florida I really did not experience snow and we never could afford trips anywhere so really when I came to Philadelphia that was my first major experience with snow.

Considering I did not really learn to drive until I came to the east Coast (short story - yes we had a car growing up for all of two weeks – ahhh welfare, having a mom who was blind, no father at all and thus no car - longer story, ask me sometime if you wanna know the odd quirks of life :-P

anyhoo – I did not drive again til getting to Philadelphia and so I've driven on snow only a few times and I admit – I am as much a hazard as the snow.

See I get very nervous and go slow and can not turn well and all that. So I get these fucking SUVs, trucks, vans and such behind me flashing their lights, tailing me and shit and the nervous wreck factor goes up. Add to that usually they barely plow one lane out here (it does not snow a lot so they are not the best always at clearing the snow and such) so you have the tracks in front of you from the last car and then all snow - so if I tried to pull over I would never get out (I drive a Saturn SL2 – not a great snow car – before that Ford Aspire and before that Ford festiva – so never driven anything even semi good for snow).

I get really bad paranoid thinking about driving and I have had some close calls (one time I am turning real slow into work parking lot, a simple right turn, going slow, going…. Next minute I am in the middle of the huge highway in the turn lane facing the opposite way. I managed to make a now left turn into my work and made it to the bathroom before puking. Luckily the snow had stopped and after sitting hunched in a ball at my desk all day I made it home and only had to stop once as I was soooo nervous.)

Yeah I know I am pretty stupid, pathetic, whiney, over-reacting, what ever… I just can’t drive in snow – hell knowing this storm was coming today and it was supposed to start snowing at about 2pm I could not sleep right last night, honestly had nightmares and ended up leaving work earlier as I really was watching out the window for the first flake.

So I guess that is a funky quirk I have and something if you know me ya just gotta deal with ah well – so anyone wanna drive me around in the snow :-P I believe in free trade and would be willing to help out with your phobia – fairs fair (except spiders – they are up there with driving in the icky poo white stuff…)

Alright some movie/TV updates – rented (and yes as I say these two movies together people will reread and go – what the heck is that chick like to rent those items together – I tend to rent a lot of weird combinations that make the movie clerks pause, look at me, look at the title, look at me, I shrug and say, eh I', eccentric and then they laugh their butt off and say hell yes you are) but I rented Madagascar and Pistol Opera (anyone else out there ever seen that? It looked weird in the movie store so I got it – will use the snow night to curl up with some hot Lemon tea and a subtitled flick about a woman Japanese assassin trying to move up the ladder of success – ahhh warm fuzzies on a cold snowy night – lol – seriously when I read the cover it made me think of the Lucy Liu character in Kill Bill and so wondering if there is a connection so let me know if you've seen it before)

But continuing with run down – just finished L Word season 2 (yes – finally – man I wish I had Showtime as season 3 will be showing soon – I also would check out that new Sleeper Cell series). Want to see Aeon Flux and yes I want to see Rent again plus there are a few other movies coming out that I would not mind seeing – gotta get Mr. & Mrs. Smith – wanna find out if Drew Carey show is on DVD (Someone told me I should watch the entire series – ALL of them) and must pick up Absolutely Fabulous yet again (that series is like a guilty secret pleasure and secretly hits my funny bone more than I would admit in a mixed crowd – lol)

Also tomorrow going to check out Daisy Does America – yes that looks like a stupid ass reality something show but who cares – I kinda need to laugh right now as stuff has been pretty depressing and the I am in an unmotivated "I am not getting out of bed anymore" is tapping on my shoulder….. hmmm there are some other movies out there to see but I forget – eh I will find my post-it note somewhere of must see stuff – lol

Going to go and check – the snow has begun to really come down now…

1 comment:

docwho2100 said...

Thanks for the words and reminding me I am not alone in the world in terms of the things I think and feel and experience (I am still shivering though at the spider crawl thing - this from a woman who was in a car once - on teh passenger side and a big green spider comes down on the driver's side as we are stopped at a gas station and the driver reaches over in one fluid movement unbuckles his belt, then mine, opens my door and pushes both of us out to the pavement - thing is, I would have done the same - lmao)

Harevy Krumpet? what/who is that? I must go and look....

and as to the story - as you can probably infer from my blog entries (stop typing, just move away from the keyboard - lol) but I tend to ramble a lot so one of these days yeah I would not mind - I just know it bores/is too funky for people so I tend to ramble but not about certain subjects at least not in this arena....

but as I find stories and people and life interesting and am an avid people watcher/listener - I should know better than to think that - isn't that what you were trying to tell me just a moment ago in your comment ;-)