Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Web Series Definition

Ok - as I work on my web series mega list - I am collecting ideas and learning more and so I have a page that has these - I'll post the blurbs I write here too...

So here was my first and I am still tweaking it - but the essential question to be answered is - what is the definition of a web series

------------------------

Here are a few definitions and ideas regarding, "What is a web series?"

Well Wikipedia lists the definition as:

" A web series is a series of episodes released on the Internet or also by mobile or cellular phone, and part of the newly emerging medium called web television. A single instance of a web series program is called an episode (the term webisode has been largely deprecated)." [ from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_series ]

A really good resource is found at blog.ajchristian.org/2009/10/09/what-is-a-web-series/ by Aymar Jean Christian.

In fact I will use a lot of what he discusses as the basis for the web site. I am quoting this bit from his awesome post - take a look at his whole site.

"Nomenclature: People call web series (singular and plural) different things. Web series appears to be the dominant term at this point. I’ve read web serials used, particularly by the Times’ Virginia Heffernan, and while I quite like this term, and I think I’m losing on that. Webisodes is often used. I believe this term started early because the videos were not really conceived as part of overarching narratives (especially if you think of transmedia extensions). I’m not sure if this term will persist. I also like web shows, which seems perfectly logical. Variations on several words have been used: online, content, programs, original, scripted, video, web (online scripted content, original web programs, etc.)" [from blog.ajchristian.org/2009/10/09/what-is-a-web-series/]

Also from his article the following:

"Under scripted content, I would again divide it into original and transmedia/derivative. This isn’t so much a distinction in story/narrative, so much as business model, but it’s an important one. I do think there’s a difference between content that extends a mainstream brand, i.e. transmedia extensions... (the countless network-produced shows to build on TV properties like Heroes...)" [from blog.ajchristian.org/2009/10/09/what-is-a-web-series/]

Also check out - blog.ajchristian.org/2009/10/13/web-series-and-branded-entertainment/ - regarding branded entertainment.

And as a thought - IMDb only just this year (March 2009) added Web Series as a category - news.tubefilter.tv/2009/03/19/imdb-to-add-web-series-category-so-whats-a-web-series/

Then there is the concept of Internet Television and the fact early webisodes were very different from what people think of today. More on both of those concepts in other rambles.

by docwho2100 - last updated Nov 3, 2009

1 comment:

AJ Christian said...

Thanks for linking to my post!