Thursday, November 19, 2009

Some transmedia questions to think about

I continue to work through all the wonderful references, discussions and content regarding transmedia storytelling. One of the questions/concerns/hmmm what happens if... that I have (and I know others do too) is with the construction of a transmedia universe - what happens if people can not get to certain sources? especially with digital...

I am trying to collect references to all resources in one place, review, list, and rate web series (just going from a web series angle as this is a huge task in and of itself) - but I am looking at web series that are part of a transmedia story. And ok, some of the series I stumble across, many of the sources have been lost or are no longer available - so what happens to the story? One example is the Tardisodes that were created for the second season of the new Doctor Who - they still do exist (cough, cough) but not 100% legally and not easy to find. So has part of the story been lost (that specific example I have more to say at my site so I argue, no the story is not too shattered, but)...

Another example - using Twitter - well are you or someone going to archive the tweets? Or will any story developed there be lost to someone who finds the story six months or more later.... and what about web sites going down, or changing owners, or... what if I do not have enough money to purchase the animatrix but can watch the Matrix moviest on cable or such.... If i do not have a mobile phone with Internet and App capability - is that story lost to me (does this make a story then elitist or stratified in some aspect)??? Does this divide transmedia experiences into TWO categories - one that is a preserved story and one that is more an event or interactive story but is a ONE SHOT type of deal???

And for those creating transmedia experiences, I am curious how you tackle those issues? Are there plans in place for somehow preserving the entire story? Are you going more for the EVENT and real time interaction and thus that is lost later - or do you want the preserved story and the audience's ability to access ALL part of a story...

I know, I ask too many questions (I am often called Curious George for a reason). And please if these are being discussed and asked other places, let me know, I would love to go and read and find my answers ;)

No comments: