Tuesday, November 17, 2009

MOre thoughts on transmedia - I am getting this - yee-haw!!

Ok - been having some discussions over at another forum - check here for the full discussion - but I wanna paste a couple of my replies because I like what is developing, sure others may have gotten this, but I am getting there myself and that means the lightbulbs are coming on and I am having fun and really enjoying the discussions to get there - even if I am a rookie, greenback wet behind the ears looking like a simpleton tee ball league trying to swing a bat with the major leagures - who cares, I am exploring so there

But ok - the discussion is at www.webseriesnetwork.com/forum/topics/transmedia-storytelling

and two sources to read that prompted my replies: http://henryjenkins.org/2009/09/the_aesthetics_of_transmedia_i.html (all three parts especially part 3) and http://transmedia-storytelling.tumblr.com/ - the nov 13 post

And here are some words of mine : )


Thank you for that link as well - between those two - I think the discussion on world-building (overdesign) and episodic/serial narrative discussed by Mr. Jenkins are two avenues where transmedia connects very well with the technology culture we live in today (which makes transmedia of today very different from the historic transmedia mentioned in the blog discussion).

Combine this with your discussion on how viewers (such as me) want to be more involved in the story/world/and media and that is what makes transmedia so great : ) That is why so many like social networks and the technology culture that has developed over the last few years.

I am a teacher and transmedia offers something else - it allows a story to be told in different methods that will reach out to a greater audience - in teaching, we call it universal design for learning - you offer different points in the classroom lesson for students to access, some prefer to read, some to watch, some to hear, some to do. If you teach one style, you only reach one type of learner in an optimum way. If you design a lesson with multiple ways to get to the content, your audience is larger - I would hazard a guess that translates right into the media world too.

So it seems there are multiple roads to why to use transmedia (an ironic twist as that is what transmedia is about) - but do you wish to offer the world-building/over design element? Do you wish to build a serial connection and follow those seeds in more detail? Do you wish to reach viewers/consumers/users through multiple avenues and multiple forms of design/learning?

Yes? No? :o)

No comments: