Thursday, August 06, 2009

Some thoughts on Defying Gravity TV show - Episode 1

Ok - I posted this over on the wiki - http://defyinggravity.wetpaint.com/page/Gory+Episode+Guide+-+01X01+-+Pilot

But that contains an anal-retentive in depth look at the episode and lots of spoilers - below is my ramble review thoughts - also this is just for episode 1 - episode 2 coming soon

----

OK so

The pilot – I will say right now, I like the series thus far. Is it like a major roller coaster, yeah, it has ups, downs and flatlines. I think right now it is more like the wooden roller coasters than the mega corkscrew, metal, gravity defying new fangled coasters, but that is ok.

I laughed out loud at a lot of scenes, good thing it is only my cat around that gave me weird looks.

So general stuff - the flashback format takes some getting use to – I am starting a timeline to try and keep track. I like flashbacks, use them in my writing, but whoa… sometimes I got lost as to what came where – especially one scene with Donner and Zoe, I misplaced it and that was bad. Also, I watched this episode a few times and I recommend those that want full viewing pleasure do so. After knowing some of the flashbacks, earlier scenes made sense.

Ok so there will be a lot of focus on bare skin and hookups in this show. I am more an action gal, but romance can be good. And I am waiting to see more on Nadia, but for all some might say certain bad words, I think if she knows who she is, what she wants and gets it, well…

I gotta say, one of my favorite catty moments from episode one is hers when we find out the switch is taking place. Nadia looks at Jen and Says, "Hello, Ted" (Jen's old boyfriend) and then looks at Zoe and says "Hello Donner" (Zoe old fling). Zoe then bites back and says, "Don't you dare go there." Nadia then says "Six years up here alone with old boyfriends." And follows it with a look that is just pure smarmy and stick the knife in Zoe and Jen, Jen looks upset and Zoe looks with concern to her friend. Ohhhh I love that between the three. Looking for more great catty moments and zings from those three, wheeeeee

This is an example of how much these actors say without words… watch for that as you watch the other episodes.

This was also true for instance with little details – that is the second general thing for the episode – WATCH THE DETAILS – there is this elephant statue – I suspect it will be important down the road, well, there is a little journal video scene with Ajay that had the elephant and if I had seen it the first time, I would have connected some things. Also, as I note in my lonnnggg episode guide below, there are details in the background like what the crew members wear, have in their lockers, on their walls. These are glimpses into the characters and into the set designers hehe

Ok I am a huge Christina Cox fan, that is the initial reason why I watched this, and she did not disappoint. She has the best non verbal acting skills. Her expressions are awesome and carry through. More on those in episode 2 where they shine.

I realize this is a large cast, hence the first few shows had to be made a certain way and I am so looking forward to meeting the rest of the characters, another reason I would give it a shot. This one I suspect will take time to get a pace.

I'll ramble more in the episode 2 review… just like the series I am warming up to this and getting things set. Although there are some issues, not to complain totally, others have noticed this too, but wow no Russians in the mix. And other debates may not arise as certain topics seem not to be in conflict for the crew.

I liked the video journals and hope there are more. I like that method of storytelling and it showed a bit about the characters.

And of course there is the thing, it, Beta, the bleep in pod 4 – hehe – it seems to be able to affect a person's physiology (made the heart murmurs and I am suspicious of Donner's vasectomy – there is a whole thing brewing there with that, Zoe's abortion, Jen's experiments and all… I am sure of it hehe)

I look forward to learning more of this mysterious thing.

No comments: