Sunday, August 09, 2009

Defying Gravity Episode 2, Natural Selection rambles

ok this is part of a ramble/gory guide at defyinggravity.wetpaint.com/page/Gory+Episode+Guide+-+01X02+-+Natural+Selection

---------

Ok – still loving the show – starting with the title – I teach historical geology, biology, paleontology, environmental science and such so know a little about Natural Selection – and I got to admit, applying that concept to episode kinda is interesting because it could make you reinterpret a few things that happened in episode.

I still like the flashbacks, although still trying to get use to them. At least now starting to be able to follow the stories in the flashbacks a bit more. And my favorite scene and flashback by far is the one in the pool when Christina Cox comes over and uses non verbal expressions to taunt, tease, confirm and pry information from Laura Harris in an EXCELLENT exchange between the two actresses and shows words are sometimes over rated.

The voiceovers, I am torn. I will say I kinda overlooked them some the first time and with the second viewing I caught more of them. But still, torn about that… I tend to write reflective like that for my characters, still, it means we see more of one character's perspective then another. Now if each character did the voiceovers for a different episode… that might be cool…. I did like some of the things he said, especially about the Natural Selection… I think the voiceovers help the writer to clue the viewers into certain aspects and make sure they get things…

Speaking of getting things, I loved the euphemism remark by Zoe : ) and the bringing around of things like the eject lever story – you know, that was so dark humor, I LOVE dark humor so I giggled when Donner told it rather than being aww like Zoe, maybe that is a dividing line for people, are you a Donner or a Zoe when presented with a story like that????

I am thinking a good theme song for this episode is "The Final Countdown" By Europe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkllM8znx4 yeah I know many consider it a cheesy song, but damnnnn the lyrics fit, I mean a line from the song is "We're headed to Venus" and considering how the episode begins with them heading out… wellllll :P

Speaking of odd things – ok, I know the crew will get to bring some things of their choosing on board and the Antares does look a bit roomy, but who brings red and white face paint aboard (a reference to what Ajay puts on his face at the end of episode one)? Or did he use maybe some of their space food paste stuff :P

And the catty, snarky comments from Nadia and between the others just keep coming. Nadia is rapidly becoming one of my fav characters hehe. Like the convos between her and Wass and the insults they trade, and the scene in the pool - very fun.

And hey – what's with using Fahrenheit – use metric already ;)

I love the back and forth between Jen and Zoe, the looks and body language showing they are comfortable with each other and are good friends. My favorite scene (with the Nadia ones right behind) is when we see Jen standing at the side of the pool watching the sharp back and forth. A smirk grows on her face. As Zoe gets out, Jen bobs her head in Donner's direction with a "It's Him" look, Zoe says what and Jen says nothing, just uses her eyes and all to indicate Donner and now Jen knows.

And ok, while I would like to see Jen and Zoe, I am liking Zoe and Donner together too. And awww they have a constellation together and only space geeks would note they had stars too far apart haha…

And the references to being here before and the natural selection and all – starting to fuel a couple of theories, I posted this on another group but I'll put it here too…

I am curious about Beta (the thing). I am also wondering if a major topic will revolve around evolution and such - here is why and things I am watching

1. The second episode is called "Natural Selection" I teach historical geology and bio and environmental science so I know a little about NS - it is a major evolution theory and there are a couple of theories about how NS operates and if something can influence it....

2. The topic of abortion, Zoe's pregnancy and the crying baby.... is this a harbinger to some one getting pregnant or something along those lines?

3. Donner's vasectomy - he had it done or did he? Beta seems to be able to affect people's physiology... did Beta "undo it" and if so, are all the guys vasectomies undone again????

4. Jen's experiments - all focused on the topic of evolution, sex, development...
there are other points - buttttttt I am wondering if something is building towards human evolution, is Beta doing its own experiments (just like Jen), and so on....

5. The comments about being here before and the recurring dreams and the Hindu references and reincarnation and some of Donner's voiceovers about that and maybe the only Natural Selection that truly takes place is in a Petri dish.

Ok – on to the gory details…..

No comments: