Sunday, June 05, 2005

Cruising Along To New York

Went to New York today with friend who is visiting. Started early it is about 3 hour drive but not bad. I go to Hoboken and take the ferry across and then the free bus to Times Square – it is perfect and not that bad drive wise.

So we walked around some – mainly the area called Hell's Kitchen and looked at the shops and people and such. Got a great Almond Croissant and Mousse Cake stuff. YUM!

Then we spent a bit of time in Virgin Record Store – oh I love that place!!!!! They had this interesting display for Pride Month and we tried figuring out exactly why they put some of the CDs there they did, we were like is he gay? Is She? Are you supposed to be into them if you are gay – lol – I was good I only ended up with one CD... I kept my hands in my pockets most of the time and did not listen to anything – see, very good.

Then we went to see Wicked!!!! Wah-hoo – it was awesome – Loved the actresses for both main parts and the support cast was great – being close to the stage was cool it was easy to get immersed and thus lost in the music and play. Very coolness. I really liked the lyrics and the staging of the musical was pretty good.

Liked the Gershwin Theater – the sets and stage were good use of the space - the pace and scene changes matched the play's emotion and kept things engaged – and where I was sitting I could look down under the stage and see the musicians which was cool to see like their own personal space with all their odds and ends they had since they were out of sight... they could be naked down there basically and most people would never know – hehe

I always love looking behind the scenes and seeing the little things like that each musician had little boxes by their seats with all sorts of things like extra parts to instruments – some of the green monkeys from the Play store and other assorted stuff... just a little slice of life... I like that

The bathroom had its own show as well. The staff member in the bathroom to help keep it clean and move things along was a character – an older woman. She kept up a constant steady stream of chatter every time I was in there. She'd be clapping when the women came out of the stalls while directing and adding stuff about how long the play was or when it got out or stuff about the Tony Awards and just it was really funny and interesting to watch – a real character.

Then we got these CDs – Suzanne Westenhoefer - a comedienne and listened to them on the drive home – OMG she is funny – I like her a lot. She even mentioned Tucson - but not everyone is an Ewok or Yoda like shrivel person… almost everyone but not everyone.

No comments: