Thursday, February 16, 2012

A quick thought about Kickstarter, PBS and knickers

An update from one of the KickStarter projects I backed got me to thinking.



Here's the update with a question about the money levels set in the project - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terribleminds/bait-dog-an-atlanta-burns-novel-by-chuck-wendig/posts/176249


and here is my reply to that update - "you know, the question and your answer that you shared points out a very important thought/topic in regards to Kickstarter and funding projects. Since finding and getting into Kickstarter, I've viewed it more like the PBS fund drive you mention. Being a huge docwho and British show fan, I grew up on PBS and always pledged - knowing I was funding a big system and more than just my shows, but I knew that you have to keep the station running to get to see the shows you want. Rather than paying money to get a specific product, or to even "get something" (although I did try once to get the knickers signed by Molly Sugden but I was the wrong caller :) I was doing it to show support for things I liked and to keep a good system around. A lot of people though look at the other aspect of Kickstarter, which is I am buying a product only and I am spending my money simply to get some tangible product. I wonder if more see kickstarter projects as a pledge of support or as a way to "get" something????"


So - do people only use kickstarter to get something and pass on the project if they think they can get the item somewhere cheaper? Or do they back a project just simply to help the project and the project creators?

No comments: