Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Philadelphia Musical Adventure

I hit Philadelphia today as the first of my 4-pack set Broadway at the Academy. The Kimmel Center has this 4 pack deal going on.

So the first one was Pippen and it was not at the Kimmel Center - for some reason they had it at the Forrest Theater.

First the venue was cool. A nice, theater and they gave me Row A seat 101 - damn, I was at the orchestra pit railing and could see the stage and the musicians - it was so Awesome. I liked looking down watching them play an watched them as much as the musical.

Ok the musical - I think much of it left me in WTF land. I have to say the storyline/musical was weirddddd and had me using that acronym quite a lot. When they started dousing the main character in gasoline, I was okkkkaaayyyyy this is art.... and the couple of simulated sex scenes (oh boy..... those were intense and lots of eye candy.... lots.... but then again the story is about obsess, excess and unfulfillment) and the war scene had me going hooo boyyy.

Again - the feel of the play was very psychedelic as well as intriguing. Almost like when I saw Tommy. There were many a possible trainwrecks and nope didn't look away from a single one.

Overall, the story is good, the dance and song numbers good and the analogies do run deep yet are often covered with glam, which in and off it's self is aprt of the show and the larger analogy - I think. I loved the actor portraying the Lead Player. He owned the show and stage and had down many of the nuances. I would be interested in seeing this Broadway polished (not to say this was not good, but you can tell the little miscues and differences from a highly-professional broadway show)

I also liked the role, if not a little contrived for the laugh, of the half brother and the actor who portrayed him was great. So was the person who played Catherine, wish that was a bigger part.

I then walked around for a bit and ate at a place called Sisters - will need to go back there some night after 10 - they have a dance floor and such and looked like a nice place... it was empty that early but I got a chance to check out the place.

Also found a cool coffee shop called The Village, the ice tea was excellent and I will go back there again prolly next week.

Yup my second one comes right on the heels of the first - Edward Scissorhands - that should be yet another hmmm WTF evening - hehe

PS - I only got a little wet - thanks for holding off rain.....

No comments: