Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Online TV - where is it going

So - taking a look at what being a Comcast subscriber gets me through its new Xfinity online TV service.

So, as more and more content moves to online - will we see "web series" continue and a further dichotomy develop between the difference (remember public access cable channels ala "Wayne's World" hehe - in a sense they were to TV what some of the web series pioneers are to TV shows.....

Will this mean an even further split between the big money deals and sponsors and branded shows and those done by the "average" joe???

Will web series become more a name for a certain structure rather than the method of delivery (for now web series are those that are originally streamed and shown via the Web - in future will web series mean more of a short format and so on????

But then I think transmedia/cross(multi) platform series are already working to redefine structure (do I just have a video component or are there supporting social network and other media/story outlets

I think, while of course content is key, production value is too. I can not list all of the movies, shows, books, stories that have been "hits" yet seem to be light in the content area and visa versa... so, for now, I think packaging is still important and that might be where advertisers are able to find a niche, you need money to make a really full blown event and to nab "celebrity" - I also think that while people will have to pay for content, free content is still sellable and attractive and to be "free" you need... ad support....

For now, I think it is actually more beneficial for online advertising... I can skip commercials if I record, or get the DvD and have no ads, but right now, when I am online on a site and they put that mandatory ad in there, I can not get around it. And everytime I rewatch that item online, I gotta go through the ad....

Has anyone done a study about how many ads are viewed online vs through the traditional channels???

No comments: