Sunday, February 10, 2008

What words can mean

Been listening to a lot of music lately (as if that is anything new lol) but really been listening lately to help my mind through some things. Plus had a nasty cold or something kicking my butt and it still is. So anyhoos, been listening to lots of music and one song has caught my interest a bit – "Shadow of a Day" by Linkin Park. Not along the lines of their "harder" songs so this one has found more radio play.

And yes, it has been around awhile, I just sometimes take a while to get to things lol Also funny weird is I've been listening to this song for a bit, before the recent string of things happened so it is like hmm was that foreshadowing lol – nah I just like music :P

Amazing how you can say something and mean one thing. And three people hear you and hear three different things....

But I like this song because of the many ways one can interpret the lyrics, plus the music and lyrics are juxtapositioned a bit. What I mean is the music sets up one mood and the lyrics another. I like that a lot in a song. When you get one mood listening to the beat and another the words.

I like when music builds mood and the lyrics work against it or don’t help it per se. There are some great examples out there and yes a subject for another entry someday

But as to the SotD song – it is interesting… one can think of suicide, then listen again and it could be about life and being a senior citizen, then it could be about giving up on someone/a relationship, or maybe not an ending, but a change/break in a cycle and then there is the interpretation as seen in the video (which I put up on my Facebook profile and I would on myspace if the LP myspace page was not too confusing to navigate)

And I am sure there are other ways to take the song (share your ideas)…

So, how do you see the Shadow of the Day (both song and phrase….)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_eEE12R8Gw

"Shadow Of The Day"

I close both locks below the window
I close both blinds and turn away

Sometimes solutions aren't so simple
Sometimes good bye's the only way

[Chorus]
And the sun will set for you
The sun will set for you

And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

And the sun will set for you
[End Chorus]

In cards and flowers on your window
Your friends all plead for you to stay

Sometimes beginnings aren't so simple
Sometimes good bye's the only way

[Chorus]
And the sun will set for you
The sun will set for you

And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

And the sun will set for you

And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

And the sun will set for you

And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey

And the sun will set for you
[End Chorus]

No comments: