Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WordPress and Building web sites

Well, among everything else, I am needing to build or work on multiple web sites. A good chunk of them are using WordPress as the content management system (CMS). As a result, my limited knowledge of WP programming is growing by leaps, bounds and massive amount of growling at the screen in frustration, followed by pounding the screen a few times, shaking the computer, searching the web for knowledge, redoing something multiple times and finally shouting Eureka! :)

One site I am building is for a training center. We will offer workshops, educational information and a treasure chest of resources people can use. so, cataloguing is a main focus there.

two other projects are shared storyworlds, so that requires not just cataloguing information, but also providing a crisp feel for the SSW as well as needing to build a community for SSW participants.

Another site is my personal story site, which is just a collection of my stories and a few other items of interest. I really needed a nested hierarchy for that as I have story themes (like Nikki & Nora), then multiple stories in each theme and multiple separate chapters in each story.

And the last site, for now, that I am creating is migrating the www.transmediaresources.com site from Google sites to WP. There again I need nested categories big time, but also static pages.

As I read back over what I have typed, I suddenly got very very tired ;)

I plan on documenting what I am doing so it keeps a list of what I tried and not tried, more for me to find a I move from one project to another, but if it helps anyone else :)

No comments: