Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Creating a user narrative

Some thoughts about fans and user narratives and the like

In trying to find a single idea from the collection of scattered ideas always swimming in my head, I wanted to think about/write about a topic that spoke to how a fan, like me, can become more involved in a Shared storyworld.

now, by "fan like me", I mean someone who is not employed as a writer, artist, filmmaker, or any other entertainment and related job. I am an "average" joe who makes a 9-5 living and as a "hobby" is interested in becoming more involved in a shared storyworld (SSW) (just go back and look at what I have written so far and I know the English teacher/editor/polished writer is cringing).

But, that is what I am and the level of skills/ability I bring to any SSW or project; I have lots o' heart and desire, not so much technical skill. I know this is one of the top gripes people have with fanfiction. It's a bunch of poorly written story. Maybe, but think of how moving the original storyworld/story must have been to have someone who does not have much skill to still try and weave a story and add to the overall collective. It takes time and motivation to put something "out there".

However, as I read and watch the polished stuff, I become intimidated and stay sitting on the sideline like a fan at a sporting event. Which is perhaps ok for some entertainment projects; this is why professionals in the entertainment business exist. But, isn't one of the concepts of SSW and other participatory-shaped projects all about getting the "average-joe" and "fan like me" (F-L-M) involved and not regulated to the sidelines?

so, how does one do that?

Well, I don't know, which i why I wanted to write this, because I am hoping it will pull others to say, oh yeah this is how, or so and so talked about this or here is a plan or list. Because that's what a F-L-M needs, a list or a prompt or a way to get involved without being intimidated.

And these ways need to be leveled.

Say what?

Well, I teach (not English ;), and in my classroom I have all levels of learners. I have to create an activity that has multiple levels of engagement and ability. Maybe have a "whiteboard" area of your SSW and those that can not really write well, can till be part of the writing team by adding ideas to the whiteboard or rearranging ideas.

Or a wiki where others can contribute. I could never solve those damn puzzles in the ARG before everyone else, but I could go and create a wiki page about the event and organize it an track it - which made me feel as important as those solving the damn puzzle ;) Actually I still like creating wikis and other similar materials.

I liked the Black helix for this reason - they put the wiki right up front as well as other places for people to become involved.

Then I came across this article http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2011/04/culture-hacker-let%e2%80%99s-take-the-audience-outside/ and I went ooooo the UX and especially I liked what Mr. Weiler said about the emergence of user experience in storytelling and creating a user narrative. I am very interested in these user narratives and i wonder for all those out there in the business of building a SSW - are you creating a user narrative with specific ways to build and help the flow of your UX? How exactly do you build a user narrative (I am sure there are specific examples out there, anyone know where to find them?)

I am not going to retell what Mr Weiler says, I instead push you to read what he discussed. But, I, as an average joe, would like to know more about what i can do to jump into a SSW.

No comments: