That said, it also made me think how if we all tried to stream to the one IRC chat or the one wiki - would that be a case of putting all our eggs in one basket? What is someone hacks the main wiki or something goes wrong with the IRC? Is all our data and knowledge and solutions lost? Backups, mirrors, and archives are important, especially in this day and age as I fear we are losing so much history as it is all digital (look at how many websites and content from the late 90s and early 2000s websites still exist....)
Plus, the groups are at different levels, so in one you might be frustrated as you never get a chance to solve anything. In fact, that is something important in a "game", the ability to solve and progress. if you get frustrated because everyone else is faster than you, or you are not able to solve things, you tend to tune off, or miss much of the game because you are tuning in and out. Yes, I tend to like to watch the story unfold, but there is a piece of me that likes to help and be involved.
I've tended to be best at the FieldTrip App and map stuff as well as chatting with the characters through g+ and that type of activity in this adventure. Cyphers and codes and puzzles and I do not get along. I like the chatting about theories, events and research as well as cataloging. I am an archiver and a librarian at heart.
So, for today, I am archiving all the different places I can find people are discussing this. If I have missed a spot, please let me know.
last updated 11/17/12 - adding Ingress links as well - seems the game has exploded ;)
Base Niantic Project
- http://niantic.schlarp.com - Major wiki and resource to track what is going on -
- - IRC chat hosted by same person as wiki
- irc.irchighway.net #niantic. - IRC chat
- https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1cmV8-PT631wjejfAzz7x64j1AEZSVJWu5P8dxAI050M - shared by +Johnathan Chung - his notes including solves and other resources
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oA26tpCwYRTYnRDtCNV3Hqta5GUVXEVI_mN19B0p7Mo/edit - another google doc worked on by general group associated with wiki
- reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/NIANTIC/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/12u9ih/google_this_is_getting_pretty_weird_the_niantic/
- unforum discussion - http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36434
- map with some of the locations marked - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=203685585566952099382.0004cd94033b5f5265661
- https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nianticproject&src=hash - hashtag nianticproject for twitter
- http://habrahabr.ru/post/158145/ - habrahabr forum thread
- http://www.reddit.com/r/Ingress/ - focused on Ingress