Saturday, May 10, 2008

GIS and other odds and ends

Whew busy week, but a bit of a change coming - the college semesters ended this week and the one next week, so my classes are about over, I have piles and piles and piles of grading - lol - but by end of next week, things should be shifting a bit as I readjust my schedule (I get my Monday nights, Friday nights and Saturday mornings back - yipee)

I am teaching one summer course, but it is online so not too bad, although I need to start fixing that up and getting it all set... I am adding some simulations and new labs to make it a little more interesting, I hope : )

The high school is also starting to wind down... classes end June 16th, but by the beginning of June, most of my students (as I mailing have juniors and seniors) will be focused on exams and Graduation practice and all.

Been getting more and more into GIS - Geospatial/Geographical Information Systems. Through a grant, we are bringing this technology and concept into the school and I am like the keypoint person - actually I have already been using it.

I use it for my environmental and science courses, plus I did a project with the History classes on civil war battlefields, been working with the Law and Public Safety class and I am in the middle of doing a project with my Aquatics class - we are making geocaches which is cool

I also will be using it with the summer program I help with - in addition I am looking into officially becoming certified, then I have a second job career under my belt if needed or wanted
I say that because I am still looking at moving or changing things... but that is another topic for another time

I did some training his week up in North Jersey - became a field trainer for the Thinkfinity website and resources, that is a cool set of lessons and web sites - I found one where you control a catapult and destroy a castle, ok yes I was playing a bit - lol

On another note, I officially got my contract renewed for the next year, yay I have a job :P I also got a raise which means I just cracked the half century mark (then I have what I make doing the college gigs). So that is very cool

Been reading the Watchmen graphic novel - very interesting concept and read. I find it oddly intriguing and keeping me going "what the..??!!??" a lot

Thinking about going out tonight, a nice place in North Wildwood, do a little dancing and celebrating that the semester is over.

And mother's day tomorrow - wow - not really planning on much - I'll get little one back an we will prolly just tool around and do stuff as if any other average Sunday ;P

alrighty - off to eat my exercise and other assorted chores - blah : )

No comments: