Monday, October 17, 2005

Very good concert

So went to Philly Sunday night. South street on a Sunday was cool. Not as crowded but fun to watch people and such. And found this one place that sells some drink called The Gremlin and they were out (I was getting a diet coke) but people kept coming up asking for it and groaning that it was out. I think it is a fruit juice type thing. Also a guy from work suggested I go to the Pontiac Grill for the music… they had a great list for tonight but I had tickets to go to the TLA (Theater of Living Arts)

Wow – went to a pretty good concert!

First saw Mark Pond PA. I had not heard of them before but listening to their CD even as I type :) I enjoyed their sound. There were three guitarists, drummer and someone playing a cello. I will definitely keep an eye/ear out for them and see them again. I found their lyrics really good… the lead vocalist/guitarist had five different guitars and kept switching between them making for a lot of variation in the songs and sound.

Then came Liz Phair and she was great. She started with just her and acoustic guitar and took some requests including singing the Black market White Baby Broker song (lol) – in fact many of her songs were very unique – good :-D

She had a lot of energy, moved around, kept switching out guitars and such (she even played the keyboard for one song). I'd see her again.

The venue – TLA – is one of my favorites – I got a stool this time but it is a great place because the stage is high and the floor is sloping so the back is higher – I stood in the back for the encore and was able to see. Plus it is one if I had an iron bladder it is very easy to get up next to stage. And the bathroom had the TLA smell – not urine, not other human odors per se… just a bad funky ass smell that makes you go WTF is that and people have contests to try and guess (no one to this day has been able to identify the exact combination - lmao

Also found a new place to park which was cheaper and easier… so one of the major ass pains about going to this venue was better (it is a bummer driving so far but hey the shows are good and cheap :^P

For Liz Phair they had the fog machine going – first time I had seen that used in there. Considering they allow smoking it gets pretty smoky anyway – although this show was not as bad as some I have been to.

Again as usual I noticed mainly couples (the show was skewed to older 20 somethings and up) and groups, even solo people seemed to be in groups (meaning a lot of threesomes were you could tell a couple and a friend). I really gotta find someone as dorky as I am to drag along to stuff….. I think I am one of the few who dares go alone to a lot of these things – if you are a concert soloist – good for you…. And may you soon not be a soloist… unless you prefer that… I kinda am half and half….

Having some one means not worrying about losing place when you gotta go to bathroom, or wanna get something to drink or check the merchandise table… but having someone means they see me dancing like a silly goof and considering I can not dance (but love to – so I do anyhoo – so there - lol

No comments: