Thursday, October 25, 2007

How far we've come

Alright so the song on my profile right now (World by Matchbox 20) ranks in one of those always in my head these days – haven't gotten it officially yet (come on Now 26 hehe) but when I do it starts going on my mix cds :P

I interpret it as kinda couple things – one the poor person is having a depression breakdown (I have stood outside, crying and had noooooo idea WTF why or how come)… then the song takes this and looks at it in the bigger picture and hey maybe the world is not quite as happy happy anyways

Yes, a sorta depressing song, and no I am not quite in that mood - although I would compare this song to many Kurt Cobain and Nirvana put out trying to catch the "Live means nothing and nothing I do changes things and so blah I don't give a f*ck care attitude" so many have today – which this song is so upbeat it tricks you (and here some might analyze that is symbolic in that people can feel gray and yet be moving pretty fast and all cause life keeps them stepping to the beat of the world not their own) and yet I do like the music and even as the words echo that sentiment).

I also like the chorus line and think about what it is saying – "Let's see how far we've come"

This statement can be looked at in a couple ways.

I think we have come pretty far, but I think there's a lot of places we can still go (and before I can define that any better then I start getting into standards and points of view and my far is fine but she wants far to be further and so on and then it is who is right who is wrong and damn I am no way in hell opening the ethics can of worms today – things have been too ick for me lately to do that.

Progress (or is it) and the people who have money and do not hit me yesterday. I spent the day in Delaware at a children's hospital going through nasty tests with my little one because she has not grown properly for the last two years and the doctor wanted to test to see if she is producing this growth hormone.

Now the progress part comes because I am short (a 4 foot 9 inches tall thank you) and when I was a kid they didn't really have these tests and the possibility of giving the hormone and all that……. And I know there are issues and problems I face being short (I laugh stuff off and make do but yeah I admit, there are things that I have to adjust or can not do that others can… is my life worse for that… hmmmmm)

As to money well growing up my family was on welfare and lived in a depressed part of the world kinda (yes I ran with, was classified by others as white trailer park trash) – we had only the state welfare and they would never have paid for these tests or the drugs and so on… (I am lucky I have a job and my ex has a job to provide coverage for little one). Would I have been in that hospital bed doing those tests so long ago had life been a little different?

And so I have been thinking to myself a lot lately about necessity, advancements, social and economic levels and just well… and well for me I am taking the yeah this is blah but I am going to keep to the positive track and so as the song goes (with a switch of one L word for another) …. Look how far we've come, look how far we've come


Matchbox 20 – How Far We've Come

I'm waking up at the start of the end of the world,
but its feeling just like every other morning before,
Now I wonder what my life is going to mean if it's gone,
the cars are moving like a half a mile an hour and I
and I started staring at the passengers who're waving goodbye
can you tell me what was ever really special about me all this time?

chorus:
But I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

I think it turned ten o'clock but I don't really know
then I can't remember caring for an hour or so
started crying and I couldn't stop myself
I started running but there's no where to run to
I sat down on the street, took a look at myself
said where you going man you know the world is headed for hell
say all goodbyes if you've got someone you can say goodbye to

I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

Its gone gone baby its all gone
there is no one on the corner and there's no one at home
well it was cool cool, it was just all cool
now it's over for me and it's over for you
well its gone gone baby its all gone
there's no one on the corner and there's no one at home
well it was cool cool, it was just all cool
now it's over for me and it's over for you

I believe the world is burning to the ground
oh well I guess we're gonna find out
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, i guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come, again
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come

No comments: